RPCVer's Needed as Program Leaders/Teachers - Dominican Republic
Outreach360 Program Leader Position - Dominican Republic
Outreach360 is a non-profit organization working in the Dominican Republic and Nicaragua. Our mission is to enable children to live a life of choice— to help them to stay in school and to be well qualified when completing high school to attend college or vocational education.
We involve American and Canadian high schools, colleges, churches, individuals, and families to teach in local schools and at our Learning Centers. Over 20,000 short term volunteers have joined Outreach360 since 1994.
We have openings for RPCVer's to join us in the Dominican Republic as Program Leaders/Teachers during the Fall of 2019. This volunteer position is a fourteen week commitment - from September 3rd to December 10th. You will have three primary responsibilities:
- Teaching English in local Dominican schools
- Teaching English in the Outreach360 after-school Learning Center program
- Leading short term volunteer teams and college interns
Both members of couples team will need to be RPCVer's. There is not an opportunity for children to accompany you due to the minimal educational opportunities available, the heavy workload, the extreme flexibility required, and the limited living accommodations available.
This opportunity is only available to RPCVer's. Volunteers must be conversational in both English and Spanish.
Airfare, room and board, insurance, and a personal expense stipend of $100/month is provided. This is a volunteer position; there is no salary.
- The northwest section of the Dominican Republic in the beautiful and historic coastal town of Monte Cristi. Some of the cultural experiences our volunteers enjoy include:
- Visiting a sustainable organic Dominican farm. A large part of the Dominican Republic economy is based on agriculture; this tour is very interesting.
- Hiking and swimming at El Morro National Park - just 3 miles from our volunteer center. Swimming is also available at the Monte Cristi pier, just a short walk from our volunteer center.
- Visiting the Maximo Gomez museum, where the Cuban declaration of independence (the Manifesto de Monte Cristi) was signed by Maximo Gomez and Jose Marti in 1895.
- Touring the "salt flats", the salinas in Monte Cristi where tons and tons of salt are extracted from the ocean every year through the power of the sun and wind.
- Visiting El Reloj, the clock tower designed by Eiffel and purchased from France by Monte Cristi in 1895.
- Visiting the birthplace of Manolo Tavarez, the husband of Minerva Maribel featured in the Salma Hajak movie "In the Time of the Butterflies" - famous for helping to depose Dominican dictator Trujillo.
- Visiting the birthplace of Osvaldo Virgil, the first Dominican major league baseball player.
- Merengue and Bachata lessons.
- Dominican history and cultural lessons.
We plan to select our volunteers by June 15, 2019 or before, to start with us in the Dominican Republic on September 3rd, 2019. The volunteer position is temporary, and will end on December 10, 2019.
- Room and Board.
- Round-trip Airfare.
- Traveler's Medical Insurance.
- $100 Monthly Stipend for Incidentals.
Additional Outreach360 info:
To learn more about Outreach360, visit: http://www.outreach360.org
General Selection Process:
- Review this job description.
- Email HR at [email protected] with position specific questions to ensure you are interested and qualified for the position.
- If qualified and interested, fill out the online application by clicking "apply for this job" below.
- You will be notified within 7 days if you have been selected for a video interview with one of our leaders. Couples applying for the position will be interviewed separately, but hired jointly.
Housing is very simple. You may be asked to share a room with other RPCVers of the same sex. All meals are eaten in a common area, so there is no need for personal kitchen facilities. Most of your time is spent away from your room, so housing is not critical. We have internet and phone access at all locations. Our volunteers should understand they will be working outside of their room, and be satisfied with very simple yet adequate accommodations.
Please contact [email protected] with any position specific questions before applying.
- A Successful Peace Corps Experience
- Conversational Spanish and English language skills.
This is a position where you can make a significant difference. Both with the children you are impacting, and also with the many American and Canadian volunteers who join us. It is a life-changing experience for almost all volunteers; you create that opportunity for them. This is also an opportunity to be immersed in a new and different culture.
Transportation from and to your home location in the U.S. or Canada is included, along with room and board, traveler's medical insurance, and a monthly stipend for incidentals.